Friday, September 2, 2011

More Aero Testing

Another day, another set of runs. This time a bit more careful with recording
everything. I still haven't calibrated my PM and I still have just one speed
magnet. I started marking my turns, which helped, and recorded whether
cars passed. This time I decided to try some equipment changes as well.

9/2 Aero testing notes: from ~8:30-9:30 am
Venue: “Preserve” half pipe
Turn Marking: Entry/apex/exit marked with chalk
Weight (bike+rider): 175lbs before, 173lbs after
End conditions: temp 68.7 F, pressure 29.63 in, humidity: 94%, calm
Crr guess: 0.005

Cannondale Slice, Quarq, Hed3C, Vittoria Corsa Evo Tubies, Dark Speed Works bento, between bar water, frame water.
Clothes: DeSoto Liftfoil, arm warmers, gloves, Giro Advantage

Runs: (Key: 0p: no cars, pa: car passed against, pw, car passed with)
1.) baseline: 1pa,2pa,3pa,1pw: CdA: .234
2.) Road Helmet: 0p,0p,1pa: CdA: .234
3.) #1-gloves,-arm warmers: 0p,0p,0p: CdA: .212
4) #3-bento: 3pa,1pw,0p,3pa: CdA: .252
5.) #4-frame water: 0p,0p,0p: CdA: .252
6.) baseline: 0p, 1pa, 1pw: CdA: .236
7.) baseline+no turtling: 0,0,1pa CdA: .260

I believe that the data looks pretty good this time except for
a few of the laps with car interference. The big change
items could presumably use some retesting.

-) My aero helmet doesn't seem to help at all.
-) Who knew gloves and arm warmers sucked so bad? I need to test them individually.
-) I should advertise for Dark Speed Works.
-) Turtling is a big deal.
-) My frame water bottle seems like a non-issue. 








No comments:

Post a Comment